Personally we like to know what we are consuming, we like to buy organic produce/poultry/fish and grass fed beef as often as possible. We try to make healthy choices in what we are putting into our bodies. So, obviously we feel the exact same way about our children. Our 8 year old can eat whatever we make for dinner but our 6 month old is obviously still on puree foods. We had a discussion and decided to make our baby food at home long before our son was even eating.
Truth be told, making baby food is EXTREMELY simple. We have peace of mind knowing that the produce we are buying is certified organic and that there is nothing going into our babies body other than pure goodness. No additives, no mystery ingredients….just delicious fruits and vegetables.
We started him out on sweet potatoes. I started with small batches to make sure the he wasn’t allergic. You never want to make a ton of something just to find out your baby will not eat it or is allergic and cannot eat it. Below are the 5 simple steps to making baby food:
1. Bought 2 organic sweet potatoes from Whole Foods.
2. Took the skin off the sweet potatoes and chopped them into cubes.
3. Boiled the sweet potatoes until fork tender. (You can also steam them)
4. Put the boiled sweet potatoes in my blender and added breast milk. You can add some of the water you boiled them in, or formula as well. It is completely up to you.
5. Then poured the puree into my OXO ice cube trays that I purchased at Target. These are the best ice cube trays!!
Once they are frozen, I remove them from the tray and store them in baggies in the freezer with the name of the vegetable/fruit and the date that I made them. They are good in the freezer for about a month.
I gradually take the ice cubes out of the freezer and put them in mason jars in the refrigerator to thaw. As easy as that our son has homemade baby food. Yes it takes time to make the food, but it saves money and gives us peace of mind.
Our children are our future. We must take care of them. We need to give them a good start and set healthy examples for them.
I hope you all have a fabulous Friday!
#homemadebabyfood #organic #ourprimallife #healthy #cleaneating #fabulousfoodiefriday