I get so frustrated watching TV commercials these days. I swear all you see is commercials claiming “pop this pill and lose weight…..no exercise or diet needed”. Really?! What in the world is in most of those pills? I don’t even want to know. Truly, the thing that disturbs me the most is that we are marketing to people with a true disease, yes obesity is a disease, telling them to keep on living their sedentary unhealthy lifestyles and just pop a pill to deal with the weight. WHAT?!?! NOOOOOO!!! We need to be educating people on how to eat healthy, how to exercise…..how to take care of themselves and get healthy. Believe it or not, the majority of people do not know how to eat healthy, they never had a good example set for them. They don’t know how to start exercising and what to do…..as a community we need to stop contributing to yo-yo dieting and easy fixes and start educating our youth on health and staying physically active. It is a crime that PE is being taken out of schools from budget cuts. I mean, what is wrong with us!?!? How does that seem like a good idea when we have such a problem with obesity in this country?
Let’s talk about some good ways to live healthy:
- Park further away from the door so you have to walk further
- Walk for 10 minutes at lunch, everyday (if you live in snow, walk around your office)
- Do lunges, squats, push-ups, crunches, planks – whatever you can think of, during commercials when you are watching TV at night.
- FIRST thing in the morning – get out of bed and do some jumping jacks, squats, push ups
- ALWAYS use a small plate. There is no need ever for a large plate. Put it back and get the small one.
- Fill half of your plate with vegetables. Every single meal. 1/2 of your plate should always be veggies. The majority of the remaining plate should be protein, with a small portion left for carbs.
- Buy raw vegetables – but when you get home, chop them up IMMEDIATELY and store them in ziploc bags or tupperware. That way when you go to the refrigerator the healthy food is ready available for you.
- Buy bulk healthy meats (we buy at Costco) – when you get home immediately put them in ziplocs with a marinade and freeze them. That way you can take a lean protein out in the morning and have it ready to grill up when you get home from work, or all your kiddos activities.
The number one thing you have to know is that living a healthy lifestyle does take work. BUT….it is completely worth it, to put in the extra effort and time in order to feel so much more alive. I promise you that if you challenge yourself to move more and eat real healthy foods, you WILL feel like a completely different person. Please, don’t just pop a pill and hope to lose weight. Put in the effort for yourself, because you are worth it.
#ourprimallife #healthylifestyle #healthyliving #eatwell